Dentures should be cared for daily in order to keep your mouth healthy and free from unfavorable changes. Keeping dentures clean will ensure they remain comfortable to wear and so you get the best service from them. We recommend that dentures be removed at night to allow the mucosal areas time to recover from the constant pressure throughout the day.
- Your denture should be removed and mouth rinsed after meals to ensure no food particles remain underneath the denture to rub and cause irritation.
- Using a soft brush, warm water and liquid soap (or non-abrasive denture cleanser) the denture should be cleaned manually twice a day to prevent food build up and remove microorganisms that live in plaque and then rinsed well.
- Regular toothpaste is not recommended, as it is too harsh for denture materials.
- It is also a good idea to gently brush the inside of your mouth, roof of the mouth, inside of cheeks and the tongue.
- If you do notice staining or a buildup of calculus on your denture we can often remove this with a professional clean and polish.